Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Power to the Poeple

Update at end.
So the song says . . . or something kind of similar, maybe. This is in jest because our mayor decided to send out a slap dash email calling itself a newsletter to a random group of email addresses.  Does it look to you like it was sent without any spellcheck, proofreading, content acuracy, purpose or sense of format? The first line alone sounds like some made up Eddie Haskell filler.  For this editor it is a sorry-assed communique.

Hi, 
The other day I ran into one of our neighbors at Von's. 
She was surprised to hear that 5.8 acres of land near the San Elijo Lagoon have been purchased for permanent open space. 
She had not heard about it. And asked if she could be included in future emails that I send out. 
I told her I did not do an email newsletter to poeple (sic) in Encinitas, but that this would be a good excuse to start one. 
So here is my first email. 
If you do not wish to receive news from me about Encinitas, let me know, I will gladly remove your name from this list. 
In the meantime, I hope you are having a great New Year. 
Jerome Stocks Mayor, City of Encinitas 
p.s. Not produced or sent at government expense or using government exquipment. (sic)
The nod to John Lennon's Power to the People was sarcasm.  Our mayor Stocks' focus never has been the people and especially not empowered people. This email is indicative of someone who can't be bothered to show respect for those he is contacting by even rudimentary regard for spelling or message. And, to that end the spelling of people as poeple in the title is to mock Stocks.

Update: Excellent letter to the editor at the Union Tribune this morning by Lisa Shaffer. who is running for a seat on the Encinitas City Council.  Go read the whole thing.  Here is an excerpt:

"I would welcome a newsletter from the mayor, and if he’s going to use his mayor title, he should produce and send it at government expense to everyone. I want to know what the budget priorities are, since there isn’t enough money to do all the things that have been promised." [ . . . ] "I want to know how he’s working to improve the atmosphere in City Hall to one of respect and collaboration."